What does holistic health coaching achieve?
Holistic Health Coaching facilitates the behavior change process. Together, we will create a powerful plan using my unique 5 step approach: mindset, habits, nutrition, daily living activities, and exercise. Behavior change is a complicated and difficult process when not done correctly. Most people focus on the top of the pyramid and only work on nutrition and exercise. However, our mindset and habits are the base of everything we do! You are always in control of setting your own goals, but I will push you, challenge you, and support you to help you reach your goals faster than you could on your own. Holistic health coaching develops the total person, body, mind, and spirit, which is critical to your overall success and happiness.
Contact me if you have any questions at all or are unsure how to get started.
If you are ready to start making some changes to achieve your goal, schedule below to get started!
Holistic Health Coaching
Holistic Health Coaching is for the busy, working adult who has ever thought:
- I am always working and need more energy to get through the day, especially in the evening for my family
- I’ve let my health go, and it’s time to regain control
- I need to lose weight and I’m not sure if it is possible due to my hectic work and family schedule
- My motivation is low and I need help getting started
- I don’t have time to go to the gym
- Planning healthy meals takes too much time, which I don’t have
- I have developed some bad habits due to competing demands
- I want an expert to guide me who understands my challenges and give me small, manageable tasks
- I am getting frustrated due to past failed attempts
- My self confidence is low and I need some encouragement
- I don’t enjoy exercise and don’t have the time to dedicate to exercise
- I’ve tried to lose weight on my own, now it’s time to do something different
Holistic Health Coaching
Your Personalized Map to Health and Wellness
As your Holistic Health Coach, I will equip you with the tools to take control of your health. Together we will customize a plan that works best for you with your goals in mind. Click here to learn more about how a health coach can help you achieve your goals. We will go into any or all of the following:
- Neuro-Linguistic Programming
- Self-Limiting Beliefs
- Negative Emotions
- Daily Journaling Practices
- Re-framing Negative Self-Talk
- Positivity Assessments
- Strategy Formulation
- Cognitive Restructuring
- Establish Accountability
- Time Management
- Morning Routine
- Evening Routine
- Travel Tips
- Work/Life Balance
- Habit Change
- Environmental Modifications
- Build Social Support
- Self Control
- Identification of Triggers
- Strengthen Motivation
- Push Past Plateaus
- General Nutrition Guidelines
- Reading Labels
- Suggestions for Weight Loss
- Calorie and Macro Requirements
- Dining Out
- Meal Prepping
- Grocery Store Guide
- Pantry Guide
- Food Cravings
- Weight Loss
- Aerobic Base
- Aerobic Efficiency
- Anaerobic Endurance
- Anaerobic Power
- Core Training
- Balance Training
- Muscular Imbalances
- Muscular Endurance
- Muscular Strength
- Daily Living Activity
Virtual Holistic Health Coaching Options
For working adults with a busy schedule who don’t have time for regular meetings or prefers the flexibility of online messaging. It’s an easy and flexible way to work with an Executive Health Coach to create new habits with an accountability partner and not worry about scheduling an appointment.
For busy, working adults who would like to meet with a Health Coach virtually in the comfort of their own home. This is a comprehensive health coaching program that will look at the whole person to incorporate work/life balance, mindset, habits, nutrition, and reasonable exercise for busy schedules. Video conferencing and telephone calls are available.
Darleen has been a great support and has been effective in getting me to follow through on the things I know I should be doing but couldn’t seem to bring myself to. I feel optimistic about my goal now with her encouragement.Carolyn
Darleen has been an excellent coach! She is so attentive to every detail I mention and has helped me keep my goals as a top priority. I would definitely recommend her to anyone looking for accountability in making a consistent change in their life.Morgan
Darleen is very supportive helpful and mindful person. She has always been very considerate of me and my challenge. I want to lose weight and she has just started me on a way for the first time feel comfortable and I am starting to see things easier.Nicole
Frequently Asked Questions
What should a client look for when hiring a Health Coach?
The term “health coach” can mean different things to different people. There are a lot of people out there calling themselves a “health coach” and they have never received any official training. When talking to potential coaches, be sure to ask if they are certified and ask to see proof. Some of the top certification programs are:
- American Council on Exercise (ACE)
- Dr. Sears Wellness Institute
- National Society of Health Coaches (NSHC)
- Duke Integrative Medicine
- Wellcoaches School of Coaching
What type of support does a Holistic Health Coach provide?
One of the goals of a Holistic Health Coach is to facilitate behavior change to help clients reach their health and wellness goals by focusing on the whole person. Many clients come to me looking for help with negative thinking, unhealthy habits, night-time snacking, or lack of exercise. Each client is unique and requires a different type of support; however, general support can be summarized into four primary types:
- Tangible Support: educational services to increase general knowledge
- Informational Support: problem-solving for client specific issues including advice, guidance, videos, books, or websites
- Emotional Support: empathy, concern, encouragement, and acceptance
- Companionship Support: create a sense of belonging and feeling of comfort
What are some of the more common issues that Holistic Health Coaches address?
Most clients originally come to me looking for nutrition and fitness support. However, when we dig down into some of the underlying problems, we uncover some cognitive distortions that the client wasn’t even aware they had that have been holding them back. This is the power of holistic health coaching which is very effective in finally breaking through barriers! The most common cognitive distortions include:
- All-or-nothing thinking: the belief that you have to be perfect when you are on a “diet”. When you cheat on your nutrition or skip the gym one day, you end up giving up entirely.
- Mental Filter: Focusing or dwelling on the negatives and ignoring the positives. Instead of recognizing that you ate a healthy breakfast and lunch, you ignore that and focus only on your unhealthy dinner
- Labeling: Identifying with a shortcoming. Instead of saying “I made a mistake”, clients may say “I am a failure”
- Magnification or minimization: Blowing things out of proportion. Instead of saying “I had one bad day”, clients may say “I can never stick the plan.”
- “Should” statements: Criticizing oneself with “should” and “shouldn’t” (or “must”, “ought” and “have-to”). “I shouldn’t eat that”, “I should go to the gym”, etc.
Once we uncover some of these root issues, Holistic Health Coaches help clients break through their self-limiting beliefs and reach their goals.
What is the recommended length of time to work with a Holistic Health Coach on lifestyle modification?
Studies have shown that holistic health coaching programs should be a minimum of 16-26 weeks to foster success. Again, every client is different and starts at a different point. Holistic Health Coaches should design programs that encourage self-reliance and help the client develop their own capabilities and resources; therefore, the last few weeks should gradually provide less support as the client builds their own abilities.
What will we discuss in the health coaching session?
Health coaching calls are a time to dig into your goals, your passions, and what you want to change in your life. Together we will create specific and measurable goals. We will discuss the pros and cons of changing certain behaviors and the best way to do it. We will discuss different triggers and obstacles that are preventing you from achieving your health goals. We may even dedicate a few sessions to explore your fitness goals and conduct a fitness assessment so I can develop an exercise program for you. Your body is the composition of the foods you eat, thoughts you think, community you choose, and environment you surround yourself with. We will explore each of these areas to help you uncover anything that is holding you back.
During the initial health coaching session we will:
- Review your comprehensive self assessment that you will have already completed
- Explore your overall long-term goals and what you want to achieve
- Discuss your current situation – what is going on in your life in terms of work, school, family, stress, etc.
- Set a few small, short-term goals that can be achieved quickly to build momentum and move us to the next step
During the follow-up health coaching sessions we will:
- Review your progress since the last call
- Celebrate successes and explore un-expected obstacles
- Review and adjust goals as necessary
- Set a plan of action for the week ahead
What is included in the initial health coaching assessment and subsequent assessments?
Prior to our first health coaching call, you will have about 30-60 minutes of homework to complete. I will send you a series of health and wellness questionnaires including:
- basic health and demographic information
- health history
- family history
- nutrition history
- fitness history
- psychological history
- physical activity readiness assessment
- weight loss readiness (if applicable)
- wheel of life
- Health and wellness wheel
- 3 day food journal
During the first health coaching session, we will review all of the information you provide to give me a picture of your overall health. Based on this information, we will discuss what the assessments reveal about your health and get you started on attainable changes immediately so you can begin seeing results!
Depending on the goals that are identified at the first session, subsequent health coaching assessments are customized to the unique needs identified. Every person is unique and is on their own journey!
Are you a Licensed Dietician or do you practice "Dietetics"?
No, I am not a licensed dietician, registered dietician or nutritionist.
According to Nevada statute, NRS 640E.070, the “practice of dietetics” means the performance of any act in the nutrition care process, including, without limitation, assessment, evaluation, diagnosis, counseling, intervention, monitoring and treatment, of a person which requires substantial specialized judgment and skill based on the knowledge, application and integration of the principles derived from the sciences of food, nutrition, management, communication, biology, behavior, physiology and social science to achieve and maintain proper nourishment and care of the health of the person.
The nutrition services I offer are within the scope of practice of a Certified Personal Trainer and Certified Health Coach and are included above. I am not licensed to prescribe specific nutrition plans, diagnose, assess, or treat any health conditions.
How Can I Help You?
If you have any questions at all about how to get started with holistic health coaching, please do not hesitate to reach out. Send me a quick message. I look forward to chatting with you!